Saturday, February 7, 2009

Isle of the Dead

"Only by the powers of chaos can such things exist!" Starbreaker looked very upset with the elves and their new assignment for him: travel to the Isle of the Dead. There he stood, at the base of the portal that leads to the Island. Radiant blue, purple and pink vortexes vibrantly burst forth from the portals center. Images of chaos daemons filled Starbreakers mind while he gazed deeper into portal.

He takes a step back, “I shall not fall to the dark powers on this day due to some Elven trickery!”

The two Elven warriors who guard the gates of the portal burst into laughter. “We have no quarrel with you Dwarf. This I will not lie, for the portal leads to chaos, but then, does not the road behind you lead to chaos and every road that it thusly connects to? It is in this day and age that Chaos is all around us. We have but to fight back and reclaim these lands for our own.”
Still ever reluctant to believe the Elki, he keeps his axe lowered, yet firm and steady, as though he was waiting for the essence of chaos itself to burst forth from the portal.

Before another word, the sound of a galloping horse catches the attention of the party, they look to the east. An Elven Swordmaster approach, and with out a word he pass by the three, up onto the bridge and into the portal. Gone, not a trace of him, not even a puff of smoke, only the foot prints of his galloping horse are left behind. There Starbreaker stood, bewildered by the occurrence.

The second warrior chimed in, “You see our Dwarven brother, even now our kin march to the fight on the island. We bid that you gift him, and others that you may encounter on the island, with your strength and indispensable courage.”

For a moment Starbreaker pondered upon what the Elves had said. Would the portal truly lead him to the island or where they still trying to trick him. Perhaps the Swardmaster entering the portal was nearly a ploy, one to draw the dwarf in to face the tortures of chaos. No doubt that purple hue that shone through the portal was due to the tainted god of pleasure, Slaanesh. Despite his instinct to not enter such a magically endowed doorway, he was drawn to it. Then a thought occurred to him, if he helped rid the island of chaos he could become famous, a hero in the eyes of Elven society; feasibly sculpting a statue in his honor. Without a second thought, Starbreaker raised his axe to his shoulder, grunted loudly and looking straight at the ground before him as he stormed off into the portal.

----------------------------------------
Game note:
Today I took a trip to the Isle of the Dead. To be completely honest, I had imagined this island to be full of RvR and quests. In my mind it was going to be the island this it is now, looks just as I imagined it, yet functioned like an ORvR server. I guess I was expecting some BO’s and maybe a Keep in the center for a king of the hill type atmosphere. Anything RvR related was on my mind. I was so excited to head over there for the first time.

My dreams were utterly destroyed after doing about two quests. Though the area has an awesome map and some decent quests, it only took me about two and a half hours to complete all the quests (not including PQ’s). There was no camp or safe haven for me to rest and enjoy my profits, nor was there anyone (human) to fight against. Perhaps I’m too RvR orented and close minded, but I really had high hopes for this island.

I really hope that this new expansion, Tome King setting, conjures up the RvR fulfillment that the Isle of the Dead failed to bring me me.

No comments:

Post a Comment